Being involved in a car accident can be a life-changing experience. The implicit physical, mental and emotional effects of a car accident could remain with you for the rest of your life. If you have been involved in a car accident, you need an experienced lawyer at your side who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Most common types of Car Accident in Houston, TX
Car accidents can happen at any time to anyone, even if you have a perfect driving record. Texas leads the country with more fatal car accidents than any other state, with almost an automobile accident (fatal or non-fatal) occurring every 60 seconds in 2015. Common types of car accidents include:
- Frontal collisions
- Rear collisions
- Lateral hit or lateral impact
- Accidents related to climate, such as hydroplane
- Collision with stationary objects, such as a utility pole or a tree
- Tire detachment
Common injuries from car accidents
Regardless of the type of accident or the force of the impact, car accidents can cause injuries ranging from mild to extremely serious, and even death. Some of the injuries will be evident immediately, while others may manifest over time, as complications of spinal misalignment. The most common types of injuries resulting from automobile accidents are:
- Brain damage or trauma
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spinal misalignment
When should you get a Lawyer if you have been involved in an Automobile Accident?
If you have been injured in a car accident, you probably will not automatically receive the compensation you deserve. That’s why it’s important to have a lawyer on your side who has experience in handling car accidents and help you get all the benefits you deserve. You should get a lawyer if:
- The car accident in which you were involved resulted in serious injuries, such as broken bones or injuries
- permanent as paralysis
- The car accident resulted in a death
- It is difficult to determine who was the culprit
- The police report is missing, even if you feel that someone else was guilty
- The accident occurs in a construction zone
- You are not sure of your rights or the terms that appear on your insurance policy
- Other parties were involved in the accident, such as another car or a pedestrian
- The insurance company refuses to pay or offers to pay you an amount too low (however, keep in mind that it is highly recommended to speak with a lawyer before negotiating anything with an insurance company)
What Evidence Is Needed for a Car Accident Claim in Houston?
The evidence used to determine the fault includes:
- Pictures of the damages and injuries resulting from the accident
- Witness statements
- Police reports
- Statements that you make to your insurance company (it is highly advisable not to give any statement to the company of
- insurance until after you have contacted your accident attorney)
- Medical records
- Reconstruction of the accident
Your lawyer can use these tests to help prove another person’s guilt and demonstrate the severity of their injuries.
Houston Statute of Limitations on Car Accident The state of Texas generally has a statute of limitations of two years, which means that you have two years from the date of your accident to file your claim. However, you should consult with your attorney as soon as possible while the details of the accident are still fresh in your mind and witnesses and evidence are available.
What you should do if you have been injured in a Car Accident
If you have been involved in a car accident, the following actions may be beneficial in case you need to partner with a lawyer:
- Call 911 and the police, even if you do not believe you are injured and the damage is minimal
- Take pictures of the accident site, including damage to the vehicle and other damaged structures.
- Photograph and document your injuries if you are able to do so
- Go to the hospital or urgent care if necessary
Common Errors After a Car Accident
- Admission of guilt – it is not prudent to determine who is at fault, since you may not have knowledge of all the circumstances that contributed to the accident. Also Texas state and local laws that are applicable to the accident are complicated and technical.
- Fail to exchange contact information – If possible, you should exchange insurance and contact information with the parties involved in the accident. Also, be sure to get the license of the car from all parties involved.
- Do not take notes – You should write down all the details you can think of as soon as possible. Even the little things you think would not be important could make the difference in winning your case.
- Get out of the scene before talking to the police – This not only makes you look guilty, it could also be a felony in some circumstances. Be sure to give your statement to the police and get permission to leave the scene.
How a Lawyer Can Help After a Car Accident
If you suffered injuries in a car accident, you should not have to suffer for another person’s mistake. A car accident lawyer can help ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other costs associated with your accident. Even if you can not completely alleviate yourself, having the lawyer on your side, can help you lighten the financial burden and stress of all created situations so that you can begin to put your life in the right direction.
The lawyer Alejandro Padua and his team believe that nothing should get in the way to obtain the compensation you deserve. That is why we work with each client on a contingency fee basis – if we do not win your case, you do not pay. Once we start your case, we devote as much time and resources as possible to help you get a positive resolution. You will have your lawyer’s direct telephone number and other contact information for immediate communication. We will work with you around your schedule and we will meet wherever it is most convenient for you to ensure that we are working towards a solution.
Is it really necessary to talk to a lawyer?
Not all accidents require a lawyer. However, if you feel that you were wrongly blamed, have suffered a serious injury, or feel that the insurance company offered an agreement that is not sufficient, it is in your best interest to partner with a lawyer who can help you navigate the legal field.
The insurer said I do not need a lawyer, is that true?
Insurance companies seek to protect their own interests, not theirs. The less they pay, the more they gain for themselves. They are notorious for denying demands or making absurdly low offers. A lawyer can ensure that you are paid fairly and can help you get the most money for your claim.
I do not want to go to trial, can you still help me?
Many cases never go to trial because insurance companies and some injured people prefer to settle out of court. There is a great chance that you will receive your compensation without setting foot in a courtroom.
How much will I have to pay?
When you win your case, you pay a percentage of your recovered money. If we do not win your case, you pay nothing.
How long will it be before my case ends?
Each case is different and could take a few months or even years before an agreement is reached or the trial begins. We work continuously to get you the solution you deserve as quickly as possible, but without sacrificing the value of your case. There is no way to guarantee when your case will be finalized because it depends on many factors.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Houston Today to discuss your case.
There is no risk in knowing how a car accident lawyer can help you, and there is absolutely no obligation to move forward with your case. Schedule your private, free consultation today and focus on your medical recovery and financial recovery.